Friday, October 9, 2009

9 October, 1910


There's Peary on the Roosevelt with his dogs. Look at him, standing there dressed up like a dog himself. Has the man no self-respect? He's an Admiral! I'm sorry, but I fail to see how prancing about in furs accomplishes anything. Woolen jumpers and canvas jackets have been proven to be perfectly adequate clothing for polar travel. That's what all my men will be wearing. I can't imagine the jokes that would be made behind one's back if one were to suddenly don this sort of get-up for a sledge journey, say. Leave the reindeer fur for your sleeping bag, which is appropriate, especially given that pyjamas aren't much comfort against the cold. And of course sledging mittens to protect the hands are a given. But fur trousers! And all that fur around your face tickling your whiskers. 

Sorry to go on, but it annoys the hell out of me. 

I shouldn't wonder that his dogs don't set upon him as one of their own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment