Monday, October 5, 2009

5 October, 1910

We have wind! At last! The delay in our being stalled by the weather has meant that I have decided to leave New Zealand earlier than planned so that we have more time to get through the pack ice before entering the Ross Sea. 

One of the things I like most about being in charge is that I have the absolute power to make decisions. I can change my mind if I want to and have to answer to nobody. I couldn't bear to be on an expedition like this and have to follow someone else's lead. 

It's funny: on a ship, you look about and see nothing but water; no landmarks of any kind, most of the time. It's only these charts and our instruments that let us know where we are, and experience that lets us know where we're going. But how grand it is to imagine oneself sailing into unknown territory, not knowing what lies ahead, able to claim and name everything before you according to your desires. 

O Columbus! Cook! Clark Ross! 
Your names all begin with C
And all you see is the sea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment