Monday, October 19, 2009

19 October, 1910

Sydney. 

Am always struck by how new this country is when I come here. Nothing of architectural interest whatsoever. 

Have to figure out what to say to reporters. They keep wanting to ask me about the Pole, but I am not to forget this is primarily a scientific mission, to collect data, gather specimens, map features, note observations, etc. One has to judge one's audience and speak wisely. If they are a gung-ho lot, I'll crank out the speech I've been giving for years about us plucky Brits and the necessity of leading by example etc., etc. If not, then it's rocks and dots. 

Here you go: postcard from Sydney Harbour. Kathleen's been catching up with her correspondence and buying postcards non-stop. They really ought to build something there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment