Monday, January 25, 2010

24 January, 1911

We were up all night with last minute preparations for our depot laying journey. I want to get at least a ton of supplies out along our route to around 80 degrees. Then it's hunkering down in our hut over Winter waiting until we can begin our big Southern journey in the Spring.

While the party went out with the ponies over the ice, I went to the ship. Lillie is overjoyed at having caught several bucketfuls of cephalodiscus, of which only seven pieces had been previously caught. Here he is earlier in the month with his trawl net.


In the forenoon we skirted the Island, and made for the Glacier Tongue where we were to rendezvous with the rest of the team. I watched their progress with my telescope.

There are big cracks in the ice - one of the ponies sunk through to his head and had to be hauled out with ropes. The poor creature came out looking very weak and miserable and trembling much. The dogs, meanwhile take off at a bolt with their loads and can hardly be stopped! Nevertheless I withhold my opinion of them, am in much doubt as to whether they are going to be a real success. I don't care what Nansen says. I think the ponies are going to be real good. Of course, the great drawback is the ease with which they sink in soft snow; they go through in lots of places where the men scarcely make an impression - they struggle pluckily when they sink, but it is trying to watch them. I suppose this is because they are heavier than either men or dogs. And their fodder adds an extra 105 lbs to each sledge.

Tonight we are camped 6 miles from the glacier and 2 from Hut Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment