Wednesday, January 13, 2010

13 January, 1911

The snow and wind came up and I had to abandon my plans for a dog sledge trip out to Hut Point. Instead, I went to the ship and slept there. It is much colder than on land, the cabins all below freezing. Nevertheless, I shaved and bathed for the first time in 10 days, which felt wonderful and has returned to me the aspect of a leader as opposed to lackey!

There is much to discuss with the crew regarding preparations for their return trip. A good 10 tons of ballast - loose rock - was loaded today.

I must spend all day tomorrow writing my letters to send home.

Hopefully, the next time I shall sleep aboard the Terra Nova will be as the first man to set foot upon the most desolate place known to man, racing to get the news out to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment