Wednesday, January 5, 2011

3rd January, 1912

Camp 56
Height lunch: 10,110; Night: 10,180.

Last night I decided to reorganize, and this morning told off Teddy Evans, Lashly, and Crean to return. They are disappointed, but take it well. Bowers is to come into our tent, and we proceed as a five-man unit tomorrow. We have 5 1/2 units of food—practically over a month's allowance for five people—it ought to see us through.

We came along well on ski today, but the foot haulers were slow, and so we only got a trifle over 12 miles. Very anxious to see how we shall manage tomorrow; if we can march well with the full load we shall be practically safe, I take it.

The surface was very bad in patches today and the wind was strong.

Have sent back my last letters, and told Kathleen that we are in a very hopeful position, and that I think it's going to be alright. I told her we have a fine party and that arrangements are going well.

Going ahead with five instead of four will be alright, won't it? Everyone looked pretty startled when I announced that, but I have my reasons. And that's all I am going to say on the matter.

Poor Bowers, of course, has no ski, so he shall be slogging it on foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment