Friday, January 21, 2011

21 January, 1912

Awoke to a stiff blizzard, air very thick with snow and sun very dim. We decided not to march owing to likelihood of losing track; expected at least a day of lay up, but whilst at lunch there was a  sudden clearance and wind dropped to light breeze. We got ready to march, but gear was so iced up we did not get away till 3:45. Marched till 7:40 -- a terribly weary four-hour drag; even with helping wind we only did 5 1/2 miles. The surface bad, horribly bad on new sastrugi, and decidedly rising again in elevation.

We are going to gave a pretty hard time this next 100 miles I expect. If it was difficult to drag downhill over this belt, it will probably be a good deal more difficult to drag up. Luckily the cracks are fairly distinct, though we only see our cairns when less than  a mile away; 45 miles to the next depot and 6 day's food in hand -- then we pick up 7 days' food and 90 miles to the Three Degree Depot. Once there we ought to be safe, but we ought to  have a day or two in hand on arrival and may have difficulty with following the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment