Tuesday, December 14, 2010

14 December, 1911

Camp 36

Indigestion and the soggy condition of my clothes kept me awake for some time last night, and the exceptional exercise gives bad attacks of cramp. Our lips are getting raw and blistered. The eyes of the party are improving, I am glad to say. We are just starting our march with no very hopeful outlook.

I hope this indigestion doesn't cause problems ahead.

Evening:

Evans set off and went well; when we came up, I offered to take some of his weight but his pride wouldn't allow it. Later we exchanged sledges with Bowers, pulling theirs easily, whist they made quite heavy work with ours. I am afraid Cherry and Keohane are the weakness of that team, though both put their utmost into the traces.

We must have made about 11 miles today. We got fearfully hot on the march, sweated through everything and stripped off jerseys. The result is we are pretty cold and clammy now, but escape from the soft snow and a good march compensate every discomfort. We see more blue ice all the time.

Tonight the sky is overcast and wind has been blowing up the glacier. I think there will be another spell of gloomy weather on the Barrier, so the question is whether this part of the glacier escapes. There are crevasses about 18 inches across outside Bowers's tent and a narrower one outside my own.

Towards the end of the march we were pulling with the greatest of ease. It is splendid to be getting along and to find some adequate return for the work we are putting into the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment