Monday, March 28, 2011

26 March, 1912

Henry Robertson "Birdie" Bowers


Letter to Birdie's mother:

My Dear Mrs. Bowers,


I am afraid this will reach you after one of the heaviest blows of your life.


I write when we are very near the end of our journey, and I am finishing it in company with two gallant, noble gentlemen. One of these is your son. He had come to be one of my closest and soundest friends, and I appreciate his wonderful upright nature, his ability and energy. As the troubles have thickened his dauntless spirit ever shone brighter and he has remained cheerful, hopeful, and indomitable to the end. 


The ways of Providence are inscrutable, but there must be some reason why such a young, vigorous and promising life is taken.


My whole heart goes out in pity for you.


Yours,
R. Scott.


To the end he has talked of your and his sisters. One sees what a happy home he must have had and perhaps it is well to look back on nothing but happiness. 



Birdie and Bill having a lark on the ship

No comments:

Post a Comment